ALLABANUEL is the palindrome of L’e’ Una Balla [It’s Bullshit] used for the Monte Amarillo district designed by the master of irony, Piero Portaluppi, after winning the regulatory plan of Milan in the 1920s. To criticize the standardization and alienating answers to the modern city, the project tackles the paradoxes of his time together with other ironic projects from Hellytown to the colossal skyscraper SKNE, pronounced Scappane [Get away from it].
Play and irony are tools with which the architect faces the aesthetic upheavals of this time, especially concerning the ethical claims of regionalism, prefabrication, parametricism and environmentalism, which aim at changing the world through a new architecture and a new city. With a joke that induces the critics to the haunting architects, together with the clients and the public in general, to focus on following the flow rather than on creating something meaningful and new.
STUDIO#16 is tired of the fetishism of the graphics, the pornographic appreciation of minimalistic wax models, of critical words such as “sustainability”, “concept”, and “identity”, used with empty minds with a conscious or unconscious strategy to be acclaimed by same empty minded people.
#16 – ALLABANUEL wants to find the characteristics of the patinated architecture, that drives many professionals and public away from good design. It wants to distinguish the empty words and concepts from the critical ones, to re-establish, rediscover or create a line of thoughts that loosens haughtiness and can re-excite people toward architecture.
Which are the ALLABANUEL nonsensical practices, passed for groundbreaking innovations? Which are the ALLABANUEL empty messages that push away people from design? Which are the ALLABANUEL waste of time that architects have to pursue to see their design realized? Which are the ALLABANUEL established practiced strategies, which shape ALLABANUEL values of architects to be?
Contributions may be submitted in different forms – essays, photographic essay, illustrations, data visualizations, case studies and projects, interviews, comic strips and even novels – exploring the issue in any field of design: architecture, urbanism, art, photography, graphic design, film… etc.
STAGE 01 (Abstract) – March 20th 2019
– Contributors are asked to send a 200-word abstract about the proposal.
– The abstract must be written in English.
– Maximum size of the submission (image included if present): 2MB
STAGE 02 (Final Piece) – April 10th 2019
– Selected contributors are asked to send the final piece, following the guidelines below:
– Essays, interviews and novels should not exceed 3.000 words maximum.
– All texts have to be submitted digitally in Microsoft Word (.doc).
– The piece must be written both in English and in the Original language.
– Photographic essays, illustrations, projects…etc. should be sent with a 500 words maximum description.
– All images have to be submitted full color (CMYK), in either JPEG or TIFF format (300 ppi, 18×25 cm)
– All drawings have to be submitted full color, in PDF format.
– For every image/graphic include illustration source, name of photographer/artist and the authorization of copyright holder.
– A short biography of the author/s (max. 50 words).
Without these simple requirements you won’t be published.
STAGE 01: March 20th 2019
STAGE 02: April 10th 2019
PUBLICATION: April 2019